Friday, September 21, 2012

Adios Verano!

This morning I realized that today is the last day of summer.  You know what that means?  It means it isn't over yet.  Not yet.  Although this afternoon, when I was sitting with my friend Cary, having lunch by her pool, covered over now with a big, black tarp, and in view of the fallen sunflowers, hanging their weary heads, it sure seemed like it was.   As much as I love autumn, I couldn't help feeling a little sad at the thought of letting summer go.  And later, as I drove past acres of brown cornfields on my way to the farmers market, I started to feel a little sadder still.   But when I pulled into the market, and saw that the bins were still overflowing with sweet corn and tomatoes,  I was happy again.  It isn't time to let go yet.  As long as the corn and tomatoes are still holding on, why shouldn't we?  So tonight we'll have one more summer dinner on the grill.  And this is what it will be:


Corn, Tomato, and Black Bean Salad


My brother Dennis turned me on to Fish Tacos a while back, and I am so glad he did.  They were a hit-- even with the kids.  Any recipe that will inspire my kids to eat fish is truly a winner in my book.  Of course, my children's love for tacos is such that I think they would eat just about anything in taco form, even, maybe, brussels sprouts.  Hmmm... I wonder?  No, that could never work.  Anyway, for now I'll stick with Fish Tacos, and everyone will be happy.   Even though summer is coming to an end.  In exactly eight hours.  We still have 8 more hours.  Yay!


Corn, Tomato, and Black Bean Salad

4 large ears fresh corn
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
4-5 scallions, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced (you could use the whole thing or even omit it entirely if you want)

Vinaigrette:
2 limes, juiced (if you want a stronger lime flavor, use the zest too)
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon basil (use 1 tablespoon fresh if you have it)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/3 cup canola oil (you can use olive oil if you prefer it)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (DO NOT FORGET to salt it -- I probably started with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and adjusted up from there, after the salad was all mixed together.)

1. Cut the corn off the cob. Saute the corn in a nonstick skillet in a tablespoon (or less) of oil for just a couple minutes to take away the raw taste. Transfer to a large bowl to cool. When cool, add the remaining ingredients.
2. Place all vinaigrette ingredients, plus salt and pepper to taste, in a small jar and shake well. Pour over salad and mix. This should be done at least an hour before serving so the flavors have time to blend. It can stand at room temp or you can chill it in the refrigerator. Taste before serving and add salt if needed. (Are you getting the feeling that salt is very important to me? It is. :))

P.S.  I usually make this salad with lime juice, however, because the fish taco recipe I am serving it with already has so much lime juice in it, I decided to omit the lime juice in the vinaigrette tonight and substitute 2 additional tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar.  I don't want everything to taste like lime.  That would be too much of a good thing.

P.P.S.  Instead of making my own salsa verde for the tacos, I purchased a jar of Frontera Tomatillo Salsa.  Frontera is a product line by Chef Rick Bayliss which I haven't noticed in the store before today.   It was excellent and I highly recommend it.  Whatever you do -- whether you make it or buy it -- don't skip it.   (Also, feel free to substitute flour tortillas for the corn ones -- that's what I did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment