Saturday, September 1, 2012

Family Fun Day

I have no time to cook today.  Let me rephrase that in a way that is somewhat more truthful.  I have no wish to cook today.  I have a wish to go to the park with my family and walk along the nature trails and take a ride in a paddle boat.  After all, today is the first day of September and we have to make the most of these summer days while we can.  So that is what we're going to do.   Then later, I have some serious baking to do.  You know how sometimes you get an e-mail from someone over at the church asking if you would like to donate a baked good for an event this Sunday that you will also be working at, and you get so excited about the opportunity to bake something for someone, that you immediately volunteer to bake not one, but three, possibly four items, because you have five hundred thousand recipes for baked goods that you've been dying to try, but never have because then you would eat them -- all of them?  I know.  I have issues.  Anyway,  that's what happened to me.

So, I could just pick something up for dinner, but I already did that on Thursday and if I do it again so soon I will feel guilty.  So, here is what needs to happen: I need to pick something up, but do so in a way that will seem like I actually cooked something.  Enter: the store-bought rotisserie chicken.  And here's what we're going to do with it:

Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Coleslaw
Watermelon

To make my life easy, I will just buy some coleslaw dressing and a package of coleslaw mix, and I will buy the watermelon already cut.  I don't actually have a formal recipe for the Sliders for you, but here is a list of ingredients, and the basic assembly method:

Rotisserie chicken, shredded
Buffalo wing sauce
finely chopped celery
cucumber slices
Blue cheese dressing (or Ranch for the kids, if they don't like blue cheese)
slider buns

Heat the chicken and celery with a little of the wing sauce (start out sparingly -- you can always add more, but you can't take it out once it's in there.)  Spread a little blue cheese dressing on the slider buns.  Top with the chicken mixture and some cucumber slices. 

And that's all there is to it.  Maybe we'll have a fire later and make some s'mores.  We've been experimenting with s'mores lately -- using different kinds of chocolate bars in place of the standard Hershey bar.  So far we have tried Ghirardelli Caramel Squares and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Both  were really good, but I still think you can't beat the Hershey Bar.  Anyway, it's time to get moving --have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment